Wednesday, December 9, 2015

#WriterWednesday: The Importance of Focus in a Reverse-Lens World

I finally got a smartphone. I got a Samsung Galaxy S6. This all happened because I work at Best Buy. I was stocking near the mobile department before the store opened to customers and had free range to look at the mobile phones. That's when I saw it. The offer of a lifetime.

Since I have AT&T, my payment for the phone would be about $19.50 a month but I would pay $0 down, and in reward for my purchase of that particular phone at Best Buy, I get a $250 Best Buy to buy the things I've spotted while working in the store, and made a secret wishlist inside my head and heart for.

I mean, you can't get any better than that. This promotion is called #WinTheHolidays and I would have to say this is winning if I ever could define it.

I'm not really a materialistic person nor do I consider myself to be someone who takes loads of selfies. I mostly got a smartphone because I know that with my industry goals in public relations, it looks more professional that I have one. Plus, now I'm connected in a whole new way to the world. I mean, my phone is constantly buzzing with activity much the same way a baby continues to cry when it needs something: food, sleep, a diaper change, etc.

The first day I set up my phone I spent the entire day familiarizing myself with it. The entire day. My problem now that I'm more familiar with this phone becomes how each day is another that is less and less productive in some regard.

For example, I really, really wanted to write a blog for you guys last week but instead of writing it, I had to work on my internship assignments, and that was the same day, I purchased my new cell phone.

This was why I'm glad I never owned a smartphone in college because I don't know how anyone gets anything done. It's like the best distraction I've ever owned. Granted, no one would begrudge me if I didn't automatically reply to their snap, their instagram comment, their tweet, or God forbid, all those Tinder messages and notifications but call it first-smartphone blinded bliss, but boy, do I have trouble leaving my new phone in another room.

Another goal I've yet to achieve is to start writing for leisure again. My personal goal for myself was to write 1000 words a day, every day. Yet, like I said, this hasn't manifested outside of my thoughts yet.

And in all this madness of having a smartphone for the first time ever got me thinking about focus and how easy it is to lose sight of what you want out of life, and also how to stay focused on working toward your goals. The only way we really achieve anything is through the act of discipline. Discipline is the tool that God gives us to help us be who we say we want to be and do what we say we want to do. -Joyce Meyer, from The Mind Connection. -Tweet This

The reality is despite all the fun buzzing, the likes, the snaps, the retweets, the mentions, I need to focus on what's important.

For me, the most important thing is to enjoy my new job, my new phone, but also remember that I want to make a career out of being a writer and being a publicist.

Speaking of being a publicist, I'm raising money for an upcoming trip to California. I've never been and have wanted to go for a good 5 years. If you would like to share or support me in this goal, please .Click here.

Before I leave you with a final thought, make sure to follow me at the following sites:

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/165746.Chelsea_DeVries

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wittywriterpoet26/

Snapchat:

Until next time, remember: ...that you may surely learn to sense what is vital, and approve and prize what is excellent and of real value [recognizing the highest and the best...]-Philippians 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading/caring!

Ad