Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 14: Describe the last moment you felt really, truly blissful

Happiness is a form of courage...Hmm, well I've had a lot of truly blissful moments this year and I think that's because I'm just grateful to be alive but let's see, hmmm. Oh ok. Got it.

The last truly blissful moment I had was when I realized I wanted to be a publicist. I've struggled for these past four years trying to figure out what besides a writer I could be. You know, my Plan B.

Yet, my career struggle has been a lifetime thing really. I grew up loving dance so much that I wanted to be a dance teacher. Yet, once I realized that would require me to take even more dance classes when I wasn't flexible enough to begin with, I gave up on that dream.

Most of my childhood, I dreamed of being a teacher. Yet, once I realized being a teacher meant I had to do a lot of public speaking, I gave up on that dream. Plus, I don't really like kids that much (I blame my sisters).

From there I moved on to being a veterinarian because of my best friend Geniveve. Once I realized though that vets usually have to also do surgery on animals, I was no longer all gung-ho about being a veterinarian.

In eighth grade, I was obsessed with Algebra. It was my favorite class. So, from there, I googled careers that involve math and accountant was the first to appear. That was the moment I chose my first college major.

Yet, once in the major, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, at least for me, anyway. I envisioned myself doing this and I felt like Rose in that scene of Titanic where she's sitting at the dinner table but inside she's screaming like a steam engine, trapped in a life she didn't really want. Yeah, I couldn't see a creative type like me sitting at a desk preparing tax returns and calculating accounts receivable. Plus, I actually wasn't as good at accounting as I was at Algebra so I said goodbye and changed my major to marketing.

Once in marketing, I knew I was in the right field because there is a lot of creative room to breathe in this field, unlike accounting. Yet, I also couldn't see myself just making pitches and writing up IMCs and marketing plans. Mostly, I just wanted to write for a company but write in a PR type of way. I also took one International Hospitality and Tourism class as an elective and realized I loved them because they are easy and we usually end up talking about different countries, different hotels, and/or, Disney. Basically, it's like taking a mini vacation without actual traveling. Since the only place I've ever traveled to was New Jersey, once in an RV and twice by airplane, I like studying other countries and cultures.

Recently though, I was reading the October issue of Seventeen Magazine and Chloe  Grace Moretz was the cover star and who they did an interview with.

I was reading her article and she was talking about she only makes friends with people who are goal-oriented and have dreams. She was talking about different things her friends wanted to do. She said something to the effect of, "Some of my friends want to be writers, publicists, journalists,..."

I knew I heard the word publicist before probably mostly on tv and in the movies (I think The Devil Wears Prada) yet I didn't actually know what it meant to be a publicist.

Google became my best friend and a few minutes later, I knew this was the perfect job for me.

A couple years ago, my best friend Mike ran for executive secretary for school senate and he asked me to be his campaign manager. Not only did Mike get elected, he got promoted to Vice President.

Recently, my best friend Tom started his own Youtube channel and asked me to help him promote his channel and of course, I jumped at the chance. After two months of helping him promote his channel, he has close to 300 subscribers and most of his videos have over 1000 views on Youtube.

Honestly, I don't think it was really my doing that got Mike elected or Tom views on Youtube because I've known their greatness all along but I'm a loyal and supportive friend so I did what I do best: basically be a fangirl. So far, it's worked in my favor.

This is how I know being a publicist is the right career for me. I will eventually be a fangirl to some A-list celebrity or political candidate and I will stop at nothing to make sure their reputation in the public eye is nothing less than gold.♥
Love Times Infinity,
Chelsea
xoxo
God Bless!

~Just Keep Swimming~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading/caring!

Ad