Monday, October 28, 2013

Day 25: Describe a moment when you "paid it forward." What happened and how did it feel?

Happiness is a form of courage...I've always liked helping others. I was just raised to be kind and considerate. Which, in turn, led me to start volunteering. I started out volunteering at my local library and at my old elementary school. Both experiences really gave me that feel-good feeling but they weren't enough. Then, I signed up to be an altar server at my local Catholic church. After this, I volunteered for a few times at a nursing home. The last place I volunteered was my old elementary school in a kindergarten class, reading to the kids and helping them learn to read, as well as secretarial tasks given to me by the teacher. It was very eye-opening.

Yet, my favorite "pay it forward" moment was the first year I started giving money to charity from my book proceeds. Now, every year, at Christmas time, I give to charities (most of which are listed under the section ---->>>> DONATE NOW to your right) in order to start the new year on a positive. Since my book proceeds don't always cover enough, I started saving lose dollars and change in a cup and at the end of the year, I count it up, my mom rolls up all the coins, and we bring it to the bank in order so I can donate it. Last year, I saved a total of $40.

A lot of people ask me if I have bills for school and struggle to sometimes buy my textbooks, why do I save money in a cup and give it away when I should be using it on myself? Well, I figure that that girl or boy with progeria, a little two year old fighting a rare form of brain cancer, or even that premature baby who is struggling for dear life obviously needs it more than me. Yeah, I have problems but they are minuscule compared to the problems people like that are facing. Plus, it's a biblical principle of seed, time, and harvest. You sow a seed (money, clothes, toys, time, kind words), give it time and keep having faith, and before you know it, God will reward you with a harvest. He promises those who keep the faith in this principle a thirty, sixty, or one hundredfold return on all the seeds you sow. Basically, I bless others and God blesses me or I take care of others and God takes care of me.

Speaking of paying it forward, one of my favorite musicians, Justin Bieber, posted a video today about his life-changing trip to Guatemala. Check it out!

Love Times Infinity,
Chelsea
xoxo
God Bless!
~Just Keep Swimming~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading/caring!

Ad